Thursday, October 22, 2015

Elise Engler: A Year On Broadway October 30 - December 20, 2015 Opening reception: Friday, October 30 from 6-9pm




I spent exactly one year drawing every block of Broadway in Manhattan starting on May 19, 2014 at the Broadway Bridge, just above 221st Street and several days later at Bowling Green and then alternated heading north and south. I finished A Year on Broadway on my corner at Broadway and 107th Street exactly one year later, on May 18, 2015.  There are drawings of the 252 blocks depicting all four seasons including this year’s brush freezing and snowy February and March. (I wasn’t allowed to complain as I was a recipient of the National Science Foundation’s Antarctica Artist and Writer’s Grant several years ago.) On the street I made first layer of drawing/ watercolor and then completed the drawing using colored pencil and watercolors in my studio (with the help of digital images.) I enlisted a passerby to take a picture on me at every location. The final accordion folded drawing is roughly 102 feet long and 6 inches high. The drawing and the photographs will be on exhibit at the gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment