Sunday, December 27, 2009

Back at McMurdo




 Field camp at Cape Royds, Ross Island, Antarctica, Mount Erebus (active volcano in background.)




I flew back from Cape Royds to McMurdo Station with a detour of flying out over the ice/ open water edge looking for whales. We saw a couple but just flying out over that expanse was thrilling.


It has been snowing here at McMurdo all day. Tomorrow I am supposed to fly to the Dry Valleys- specifially the Lake Hoare Field Camp--if weather permits. I might be out there for a couple of weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Vanessa from p.s 165 class 503. We miss you here at p.s165! merry christmas and happy new year!!! I hope you love your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI MS.ENGLER. MY CLASS MISSES YOU. WE ARE ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT YOU. MS. SALGADO AND MS. BARD ALSO MISS YOU.
    WE WANT TO WISH YOU A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

    GIOVANNA CLASS 403

    ReplyDelete